Swatch Warehouse: Artistic Fabric Mills

 

Our History 

Artistic Fabric Mills and Garment Industries (AFGI) is one of the leading suppliers of premium denim fabrics and garments in the world. With a large-scale, fully vertical operation based in Karachi, Pakistan, the company has recently expanded its capacity to produce 60 million meters of denim and 25 million garments per year along with some of the most innovative products for top denim brands globally.

 Cotton Stretch Denim A4-13547 Finish: AS-15

Cotton Stretch Denim A4-13547 Finish: AS-15

 Cotton Stretch Denim A4-15036 Finish: A127

Cotton Stretch Denim A4-15036 Finish: A127

Our corporate family has a rich heritage of over 69 years in the textile industry. The company first started operations in 1949, with a small retail shop founded by an enterprising man. With a vision to grow, the company expanded its operations and established multiple garment factories. In the 1990’s, there was tremendous growth and the company used this opportunity to narrow its focus on denim fabric and garments. It led to the creation of a specialized vertical operation and a culture of denim.

Continuing the tradition for growth and innovation, we at AFGI believe in consistently moving towards a better product and a better world. We have not only installed several technologies to ensure that we offer our customers a product of superior quality, but also implemented sustainable practices that protect our community and the environment. We find that every day is an opportunity to move forward effectively and responsibly.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 12.38.12 PM.png

Sustainability 

Artistic Fabric Mills has many sustainability projects in place including control of industrial waste water, post-consumer waste, energy management, mercerization, and environmental certifications and practices. Thousands of gallons of water are required to produce one pair of jeans. AFGI has set a goal for 2020 to eliminate all harmful water discharge, reduce water consumption, and recycle 65% of daily water consumption. AFGI has constructed a "caustic recovery unit" to minimize the waste of caustic soda in the merceriation of fabrics. The new unit (pictured below) recycles caustic soda and distilled water that's reused in production of jean washing. 

 Caustic Recovery Unit. Courtesy AFGI

Caustic Recovery Unit. Courtesy AFGI

Artistic Fabric Mills currently uses 25% of BCI (Better Cotton Initiative) cotton in production, and they are on track to replace the remaining 75% of conventional cotton in their spinning facility by 2020. 

Spinning

When it comes to denim, the spinning process profoundly impacts the characteristics of the fabric. Established in 2007, our highly automated spinning plant produces 25 million kg of yarn per year. The plant is equipped with the latest German, Swiss and Italian machinery. Our Spinning Mill also has a state of the art laboratory which ensures that high production standards are maintained with the help of an online system.

 Cotton Stretch RHT Denim Article: A4-13511

Cotton Stretch RHT Denim Article: A4-13511

 Cotton RHT Denim Article: A4-7324

Cotton RHT Denim Article: A4-7324

AFGI is a socially and environmentally conscious company that constantly strives to discover and adopt better ways to do business. They do this through the Artistic Cares Foundation, which works with a two pronged approach; Sustainability and On Going CSR. They just recently finished a collaboration with WWF to plant 27,000 Mangrove trees, one for each employee, in their Mangrove Plantation Campaign. Another philanthropic project completed by AFGI was partnering with SINA and Child Life to provide free medical care in remote areas of Pakistan to over 90,000 patients. AFGI is more than just a fabric company, they have allocated resources to fund four primary education systems in TCF schools with low literacy rates. Not to forget, they provided over 70 households and homeless city dwellers with blankets made from leftover denim scraps.